I wrote the last post listening to my new IPod, which is Heather's old model, but with a new skin (i.e., the decorative covering of the unit), a black and white yin-yang symbol. She gave it to me for Christmas, with a bunch of my favorite songs, including the whole soundtrack from Harold & Maude (one of my all time favorite films), Paul Simon, and three of Stuart Davis' albums.Who is Davis? He's part of Ken Wilbur's Integral Institute, and a pretty amazingly talented musican and artist. I think I've gotten more turned on to the music through his video projects, the most recent of which is The Stuart Davis Show (link), which is a very trickerish approach to Integral theory. He can be credited with getting Heather to think there might be something to Integral than a narcissistic bald fuck. The brilliant thing, for someone interested in seeing Integral spread, is that he can go to places, and find people, who Wilber could never reach. So yeah, Stuart.
Here's some lyrics from his work:
(from "Good Wyrd")
I damn near died at the moment of conception
My-my-my daddy couldn't keep his erection
but you'd never guess it to see me today
'cuz I stand up straight (like a typical gay)
With a flock of baby birds that are stuck in my mouth
I wanna gag and gag till they come fluttering out
I'm living with lock-jaw and egg-shell cheeks
I keep dreading the day that they discover their beaks.
(and)
And you shudder at the thought
Of a cook or a kitchen.
Every since you were six
You could smell the religions
Boiling off the love
Into poisonous glue,
Recruiting the kids
Like the cannibals do.
(from "April Showers, April Tears")
What is the sound
of one hand slapping
your face
before your parents were born?
"I love you/ But I cannot mother your fears." (actually a rapper/poet named Saul Williams, on Davis' album What?)